Hosh Yoga Youth Project (HYYP)
In traditional yoga practices, kids begin to practice yoga at age 9 or 10 to form a solid foundation for life as a student, and later as an adult. Our classes help students to become strong, flexible, focused, confident children with sharp minds and inner strength.
HYYP is currently offered at PS 196 in Bushwick, twice a week to classes of 4th and 5th grade students.
Classes are taught in a way that develops children’s:
- Physical awareness, strength and flexibility through the practice of dynamic sequences
- Mental concentration through quick-paced counting exercises and attention to details of postures
- Verbal/listening acuity through learning Sanskrit that has contains unusual sounds to Western ears
- Ability to translate abstract experience to concrete paper; each class, students recap their experience by drawing and labeling stick figures doing the sequences
- Respect and awareness for themselves and their peers through exercises that challenge them to work well together
It costs roughly $1000 to run a 14-week program. Can you help pay for 1 week of classes? or perhaps you can share 3 weeks of class with these kids? an entire program?
As we move forward, we are seeking funding opportunities to extend this type of offering into other Brooklyn schools that have a need and desire for this type of programming. To donate now, please click here.
If you are interested in hosting this program through your neighborhood school-in-need, please contact becca [at] hoshyoga.org.
Our call for artwork has ended and the results are in! Our judges Lara Calo, Arielle Angel, and John Hagan chose 4 artists and Hosh students’ work for our Greeting Card Project. Artists were asked to submit work that if chosen would be printed on greeting cards to be sold at Hosh and other participating businesses. When resources become available for the printing of these cards, all profits from the sale of these cards will go towards Hosh’s Youth Yoga Program (HYYP). Through HYYP, some 4th-8th grade children in Brooklyn’s underserved public schools are getting to benefit from yoga at no charge.
Our Winners are:
If you’re able to help fast track the printing, get involved by emailing info [at] hoshyoga.org.